Friday, February 02, 2007

Hi all! I'm sitting at my desk at work right now, pondering the morality of wasting time while I'm getting paid. Does anyone ever have those days where you feel as if you can't do anything at all? I like to call it a work cramp. Thankfully, I have a job in which I can do things like read childrens books on those days, and it's perfectly acceptable.

I hope that everyone is celebrating Groundhogs Day in the appropriate fashion, which of course means planning on sleeping for four weeks straight (wouldn't that be nice?).

Yesterday I had my first major program flop in four months. At least I felt like it was a flop. The kids might have actually enjoyed it. I showed up at the branch and discovered that instead of being in the meeting room, I would have to conduct the program in the main library area. It doesn't seem too intimidating in type, but trust me, singing preschool songs at the top of your lungs in the library has all the ear-marks of a nightmare (thankfully, I realized that I was fully clothed, so I must be awake). So anyway, I prepared the for the program and only one girl and one boy showed up. Their parents, of course, left them alone with me while they proceeded to check their e-mail and read the paper. To make a long story short, by the middle of the program, I had both children covering their ears and grimacing while I sang the songs. The girl was actually whimpering. It must have been an off vocal day for me, because I've never gotten that kind of reaction before. Maybe they were just sitting a little too close to my powerful pipes! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, quite frankly. I guess I needed a pride check.

Anyway, I hope all is well with everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The shame and joy of being an employee is that I get paid to waste time. If it gets boring, then I do some work. After 6pm (or 7pm .. or 8) & on weekends I have do it all for free.

Not to sound old & decrepit here, but I can't sleep more than 9 hours anymore without my back complaining. Four months of sleep sounds like a death sentence.