Sunday, July 01, 2007

The other day at work I caught a whiff of my old Strawberry Shortcake doll.

Does that every happen to anybody else -- completely apropos of nothing, you smell something from your past? Just through a strange combination of ambient smells that conspire to totally throw you off balance.

F'rexample, a couple years ago I regularly worked 4am-9am Sunday mornings, and when I got to work the parking lot always smelled of Smurf Berry Crunch. When I walked back to the car at 9, the smell was always gone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, so true! I've had the same thing happen, and it's always a smell from when I was little which my nose recognizes before the rest of me is aware.

Neb said...

Yeah. Sometimes someone in our building smokes Grandmother Bush's brand of cigarettes, and it makes me miss her (seriously, I like the smell.)

Also: theoretically, the smell of the birthday cakes my mom used to make should be able to be duplicated by purchasing a Betty Crocker cake mix and following the directions on the box. But when I do it, it's never quite the same.

reluctant blogger said...

Does it count if I smelled doughnuts from the Isle, MN bakery while I was hiking last night along the Missouri river?

Hannah said...

I attended an Episcople church for a few months the year I lived in Tyler; and when they snuffed the candles after the service, I always thought of cheesecake. Not that the smoke really smelled so great; but I always have cheesecake on my birthday, and the candle smoke after church always brought back birthday memories centered around the best of desserts.

Anonymous said...

Out-of-doughnut experiences certainly qualify!